What are the dental issues facing seniors?
Your teeth should be able to last a lifetime with correct care at home and regular dental check-ups. There is no reason why you should lose teeth. Dr Linc says:
No matter your age, if you are brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, flossing daily and seeing your dentist regularly for professional cleaning and check-ups, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy. However, even if you brush and floss regularly, you may face certain issues in your senior years.
Here is Dr Linc’s list of issues seniors should watch out for:
Medications and your general health can cause mouth and teeth issues. Thankfully, Dr Linc can help you with most of these issues to keep you smiling.
- Root Caries: As you age, your gums recede slightly. This can expose the roots of your teeth, which can lead to dental decay.
- Secondary Caries: Dental decay around the outside of old fillings occurs frequently in seniors, especially if you have many old fillings.
- Sensitivity is usually a problem as you get older. When your gums recede due to gum disease, areas on your teeth that are not normally exposed or protected by enamel become sensitive over time. Cold air can cause sensitivity, as well as sour or sweet drinks and foods.
- Dry mouth is a very common problem for seniors, usually caused by medications. Dry mouth can damage your teeth if left untreated. Dr Linc may recommend a treatment to restore the moisture in your mouth.
- Existing health conditions, including but not limited to diabetes, heart disease, or cancer can affect your teeth and mouth. Let Dr Linc know if you have any health issues, so he may understand your situation and look at ways to help.
- Dentures require care so they are kept clean and keep your mouth clean and healthy. You can find out more about Denture Care here. Dr Linc recommends an annual check-up if you wear dentures.
- Gum disease can potentially be a very serious condition and affect people of all ages, but it is most common for people over the age of 40. Gum disease is treatable if identified early. Regular dental check-ups with Dr Linc to identify and treat gum disease will help reduce the effects. Read more about Gum Disease here. To prevent gum disease, watch out for the following:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Bad diet
- Systemic diseases (diabetes, heart disease and cancer)
- Certain medications
- Crowns and Bridges are used to strengthen natural teeth that are damaged or used to replace missing teeth. A crown covers the entire top of your tooth, like a cap. Crowns not only strengthen a tooth, but improve the shape and appearance. Bridges are often used to replace one or more missing teeth. As their name suggests, they span the space where the teeth are missing, capping the teeth either side of the gap with crowns.
Dr Linc is available at Harris Dental Boutique Bargara dental practice near Bundaberg, Monday to Saturday at Shop 2/16 See Street Bargara Q 4670. There are usually appointment times available each day to see new patients or dental emergencies. Give the front office team a call on 07 41590 660 to organise a time that suits you, contact us for more information or book an appointment with Dr Linc in Bargara near Bundaberg.